Thursday, February 6, 2020

Working a Rough Job Under a Living Wage

   I don't get paid enough to live on my own yet I have a really emotionally exhausting and demanding job. A job a lot of people tell me it takes a special person to do. If not many people can handle this job then why are we paid so little? I work with as an ABA therapist for kids with Autism or similar conditions. ABA means behavioral therapy, and in almost 3 years of doing this job I have had to deal with a lot of things including being attacked by a clients dog, even though they assured me their dog wouldn't even though they appeared aggressive, being puked on, sitting in a puddle of pee, having my hair pulled, having nails dug into my skin, being kicked, being put in a chokehold, being hit, being pushed, dealing with kids who refuse to do anything and just scream or throw items across the room. What really gets to me is the kids who throw items across the room while smiling. I have cleaned up pee off the floor, and changed a poopy diaper of an 18 year old, and 7 year old. I've been spit on, disobeyed, nearly bitten, coughed on. I've seen tantrums, and kids become rag dolls laying on the floor refusing to do anything else, so I've had to pick them up, and make them do things. I got acquired a skin infection after going in a very unclean house filled with filth and a mouse running around.
    It's not a glamorous job. It gets really tough sometimes, but someone has to do it, so that these children can be better. Along with these rough times there have been some really great things too. Kids finally connecting things together and being able to tie their shoes, learn how to speak some words, or use the bathroom on their own. This is why I do it. But even someone with a strength in patience, can have their patience tested which has happened to me quite a few times. I really like my job, and I think I'm really good at it, but I honestly will have to get a second job or find a new one if I'm ever going to live independently, and have health insurance. I don't understand why teachers and childcare workers get paid so little when it's so easy to get burned out or discouraged by these kinds of jobs. Meanwhile some people get paid more than I do for doing less. It's frustrating, but at least I know I am changing lives for the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment