Thursday, April 20, 2023

South Carolina Trip Day 5 (Final Day): Saying Goodbye to the Beach

     For this day I decided if I should go to the Alligator Adventure place by myself since the day before it had been closed, but ultimately decided against it. I thought my last day in Myrtle Beach should be spent near the ocean, since that is what I would miss most when being back in Wisconsin. (Besides seeing the palm trees.) I first took a walk on the beach near my AirBNB, spotting four beached jellyfish that morning instead of the two. I enjoyed walking along the sand and along the water while picking up larger shells. The larger shells I had seen before during the trip had been broken, but that morning there had been a lot that were whole, so I decided which ones to keep out of them all. (Still way too many shells, probably, but we don't really have any by the lake.) I stayed out as long as I could before needing to get my things packed up to leave the AirBNB. The designated check out time was 11. My flight out of Florence wouldn't be until about 5:30ish, so I had a couple more hours to kill. 

      I decided to have lunch at a fun little restaurant on the beach called "Bummz Beach Cafe." I found a public parking lot a block away from the restaurant, so I parked for free while being a safe enough distance away. The restaurant had outdoor seating where you could see out onto the beach. They also had beach chairs out on the beach for relaxing after lunch. For lunch I ordered a cup of clam chowder soup, fish tacos, and a pina colada. It was a sunny day but still in the 60s so you needed a sweater. There's also a dog that hangs out around the restaurant that the regulars called by name. It was a smaller beagle looking dog. After my lunch I took advantage of the beach chairs, and sat out in the sun while closing my eyes. After being satisfied by the amount of time I had spent sitting out in the sun I began to walk towards the ocean for the final time. 

   Afterwards I walked to my car, and looked up to see if there was anything else I wanted to do before leaving. I also felt pretty tired at this point so I didn't really feel like walking too much, so I ultimately decided on driving to Florence a bit early then I had planned. This turned out to be a good idea, since getting an Uber ride from the rental car place to the airport took about 20 minutes to find a driver, so I cut it close. I returned my car at 4:30, and got to the airport around 5:00. Since the airport is small no one else was going through TSA when I arrived, so it was like all the staff were focused on me so it went quicker. It also turned out that are flight had been delayed by about 15 minutes anyways. But yikes. I flew to Charlotte with a little over an hour layover, in which I had Carolina Barbeque for dinner, before flying to Chicago. Chicago ended up being warmer than South Carolina that day, in the lower 70s which was definitely a crime. However, it was nice to come back to warm temperatures and not freezing. When I checked the temperatures of Myrtle Beach for this week it was high 70s all week which I consider to be the best temperature, so I was a little sad seeing that. :) 

    (While overhearing a parent meeting today for a client I overheard that they had flown somewhere coastal last week and it had been in the 50s, and the dad had been sick with a fever while on the trip, so they had a really hard time, but got to be right on the beach at least. My client also did well on the trip. I was also able to accomplish and see a lot of things, so I'm not too disappointed I didn't get more than one beachy/swimming day.) 

    Thank you to all of you who suggested traveling to the coastal area of the East Coast instead of the West Coast. I still have a lot of love for California, but I thank you guys for encouraging me to explore the other end of the continent. 












No comments:

Post a Comment