Wednesday, April 28, 2021

Christian Book Recommendations

 "Out of the Salt Shaker and Into the World: Evangelism As A Way of Life" By Rebecca Pippert 

    This is my top favorite Christian book that I've read. It was recommended to me by a friend when I wanted to learn more on the topic of Evangelism. I took so many notes off of this book, and even bought a copy for myself after returning my friend's copy because I loved the book so much. This book paints Jesus as the main evangelist, and biblical examples from his life.  This book is encouraging, and offers practical tips at becoming better at evangelism. 




"The Final Quest" By Rick Joyner 
    I was introduced to this book when attending the School of Worship. One of our teachers read us the first chapter out of the book, and I was immediately hooked. I needed to get a copy myself to find out what happened next in the story. This story is written about a vision that Rick Joyner, the author, had over a year.  The vision provides a visual of the battle between light and darkness. It also provides great imagery of spiritual warfare. This book is a part of a trilogy with this one being the first.
 



"God's Lavish Grace" By Terry Virgo 
This book was recommended to me by one of the people at my church, when I had first joined Living Light, and had gotten serious about living for God. They let me stay at their house a couple of days when my anxiety was bad. (Going home always gave me a lot of anxiety, thankfully it doesn't anymore). This book was left out on the nightstand, and the lady recommend I read it if I wanted. I read part of it then, and really liked it.  On the School of Worship this was one of the required books to read, and each week we would read a chapter and discuss it more thoroughly. It gives in depth information on God's grace that he has given to us, and how great of a gift it truly is. 



"A Little Book on the Christian Life" By John Calvin
I just got done reading this book in a women's small group. At first glance looking at it, and knowing the author lived in the 1500s was really daunting. I wasn't sure I'd be able to understand the words he would be using to get his point across. However, I was shocked at how relatable to the world now this book is. A book written over 500 years ago. It was also pretty easy to follow, even though we were reading it at around 6:30 in the morning. This book is heavy, but uses examples on what the Christian life looks like, and the right way to be one. 




"Awake & Alive to Truth: Finding Truth in the Chaos of a Relativistic World" By John Cooper
I was really excited to read this book, once I had heard about it being released, and got a copy for Christmas. (I finished it shortly after :P). This book describes how to live in the world today when there are so many different things trying to tell you what to think. John brings out how to find what is the biblical truth we should believe in the midst of the chaos all around us. It also describes different world views, and what our culture believes and why, and uses stories from his own life. This book was encouraging to stand firm in God when things are tough. 



"You're Not Enough (and That's Okay): Escaping the Toxic Culture of Self-Love" By,Allie Bell Stuckey
The title of this book is counterintuitive, especially when constantly in culture we are told "you are enough." Self-love we are told will make us happier, but we are more self-obsessed than ever before, and we're actually the saddest we've ever been as a culture. We think to much about ourselves, and what we want, think we deserve, but this is shallow and leads to loneliness. Constant reflection on ourselves and our inadequacies as humans instead of looking to God who is truly perfect in everyway. (I've only started reading this book, but I am excited to read more.)



"Humility: The Journey Towards Holiness" By, Andrew Murray 
Humility is a virtue we all need in order to become more Christ-like. It is one of the hardest virtues to accomplish especially in an individualistic society where everyone is so focused on themselves. Even when we think we are doing well with being humble, we probably aren't. It's a consistent battle in life to stay more humble than prideful and this book highlights the importance of humility and how to become more humble. This was another book we went through when I was on the School of Worship.


"The Pursuit of God: The Human Thirst for the Divine" By, A.W. Tozer
The pursuit of God, as the title reveals is about pursuing God in our Christian walks. Not to just believe in him, but to actually pursue what his will is for our lives, and his wants for us. Continuing to follow after him and do his will, even when things get tough. I read this book on the School of Worship, and will pull it out to review it sometimes, just for the great reminders that are within this book. 



"StrengthsFinders 2.0" By, Tom Rath
   Strength Finders is a book based on the Clifton Strengths Asssessment which is an online test you can take in order to assess your strengths. It's not free, however I think it is a good investment. I took it a few years ago and I think it was around $20. The book helps you discover more about your strengths and how to apply them within your workplace, or in the case of Christianity, networking God's purpose in your life. I took this assessment years ago and still I have access to the results of the test to look back on as a reminder. Though not necessarily a Christian book, I feel it is helpful for that as well.



"The Lion and the Lamb" By, Tony Ling
      The Lion and the Lamb contains two books that go through the symbolism/imagery and its meaning in Revelation. This makes Revelation, a relatively difficult book to understand because of its high use of symbolism, easier to understand. It also provides a hopeful and encouraging insight on the end times when it's usually viewed as a frightening topic. A friend had an extra copy of this book, and gave it to me as a gift. 
 

   I will probably add more books to this list as time goes on. I read a lot of books on Christian topics and I'm sure I probably missed one. 😊




 



 





No comments:

Post a Comment