Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Don't Meet Your Heroes?

In the past few months I have seen six of my favorite celebrities in real life.  Although I only got to actually meet one of them, I think the statement that you should never meet your heroes is wrong.  The thrill of seeing a music artist etc, in real life, not just on the Internet or on TV is just an amazing feeling.

Seeing Twenty-one-pilots       
     Twenty-one-pilots: I saw twenty-one-pilots on October 30th of last year with one of my best friends Amber. The day after which was Halloween I dressed up like Tyler Joseph in the blurryface era.  Complete with black jacket, red hat, black painted hands and neck.   I had actually seen them for the first time at Summerfest in 2013 before they were very well known.  My friend Amber and I wanted to see Grouplove and thought that twenty-one-pilots was a cool band title.  So we watched their show, and were blown away at how talented they actually were. We listened to their music all the time from that day on.



















A Little About Twenty-one-Pilots
       Ever since they released their album "Blurryface" in May 2015, they have become highly known. You probably heard some of their songs on the radio like "Stressed Out", "Tear in My Heart", or "Ride".  The band is made up of two people Tyler Joseph and Josh Dun, and they don't fall under a certain genre of music, as each song is very different.  The lyrics mostly focus on mental illnesses.  Before releasing their "Blurryface" album they posted clues on Twitter to when some of their songs would be released and which ones.  If was super fun for me to try and solve the riddles, and made me even more excited about the album coming out.  Other music artists should take note. 


 Seeing Troye Sivan
       I saw Troye Sivan on February 20th of this year.  It was also the day before my mom's birthday, and I saw him with my friend Laurette.  I have been following Troye's life since August 2013, which doesn't seem that long but Troye's the same age as me, so it's kind of like we grew up together.  As I watched him mature I matured myself. During his concert, someone put a cheesehead on stage for him to wear.
 
A Little Bit About Troye Sivan
Troye Sivan started out as a YouTuber, posting his first cover on YouTube when he was just twelve. Troye also posted funny video sketches on YouTube, which is what he was most known for on YouTube.  He was also a young actor acting in X-Men Origins- Wolverine as young wolverine and in the Spud Movie Series. ( A popular book series in South Africa where he was born.) He would move to Australia at 2. He was signed to his singing career after he wrote and posted a song about "The Fault in Our Stars", and released his first full length album in December called "Blue Neighborhood"
 
 
Seeing/Meeting Tyler Oakley
 
    I already made a blogpost about my whole experience with meeting Tyler Oakley, so I won't bore you in repeating all of the details.  Main thing I wasn't expecting to see Tyler Oakley that day let alone meet him.  Also he is my favorite YouTuber, (if that wasn't obvious already) and the first YouTuber I obsessed over.  I started watching Tyler's videos in June 2013.  I met Tyler on April 21st of this year.  Throughout the years I have watched gain more and more popularity.  I had seen him on tour in October 2014 for the first time.
 
                                             A Little Bit About Tyler Oakley
 
 
       Tyler started posting videos on YouTube as a way to communicate with his high school friends when he was away at college, and keep them up to date on what was happening.  People actually started to watch those videos, even though that wasn't his intention and his fanbase slowly grew from there.  He now has over 8 million subscribers on YouTube.  In 2015 Tyler became very popular, and decided to go on tour.  His tour was called "The Slumber Party Tour" and I was at his first stop ever in Chicago In October 2014. He has also filmed a documentary called "Snervous" about his time on tour, wrote a book "Binge", and has a weekly podcast on ITunes with his friend Korey called "Psychobabble."  Besides that Tyler has appeared on Ellen, went to the White House and met Obama, and went on the Amazing Race and made it to the Final 3!
 
Seeing Dan and Phil
    Last Sunday May 29th I saw Dan and Phil.  Instead of putting on a normal show, where they just spoke to the audience for an hour like most YouTubers they actually put on their own theatrical type show.  They brought their YouTube channel worlds to the stage, and props to help you feel like you were in a different dimension with them.  The show also had a lot of audience interaction, so each show they do is a bit different. I went with my friend Alex from Parkside along with her twin sister Anne. We got lost in Milwaukee after the show trying to find the highway. They made it fun though. My friend Claire also ended up going to the show.  I saw her after the show, it had been 2 years since I had seen her, so it was a very exciting moment.
 
A Little bit More About Dan and Phil
      Dan and Phil, known on YouTube as Danisnotonfire and AmazingPhil are currently doing a US Tour after their book came out last December, called "The Amazing Book is Not on Fire" combining their channel names. Their tour name is similary being named: "The Amazing Tour is Not of Fire."
 
      Phil has been on YouTube for 10 years now, being on YouTube from the very beginning.  Putting out mostly comedy skits, or talking about relatable things in his life. 
 
        A lot of what Dan and Phil do are done together since they have been best friends for almost 8 years now.  Dan actually started out as a fan of Phil and would leave comments on his videos.  They ended up meeting in 2009, and became very close.  They got hired at BBC Radio together, wrote their book together, made two channels on YouTube together: "DanandPhilGames" and DanandPhilCrafts" which was an April Fool's Prank that went mainstream.  They are now on tour together as stated before.  Their personalities work so well together, its no wonder they collab so often. They are both currently living in London.
 
 
Throwback to July 2013 Seeing Paul McCartney
 
   In this blopost I was mainly focusing on who  I had seen/met in the last couple of months, but I couldn't not include seeing my biggest idol of Earth in person, Paul McCartney.  I went through a Beatles obsession phase in middle school that carried on into high school that still has some remnants today. I of course found out that Paul McCartney would be playing at Miller Park before tickets went on sale.  It was the day of the ticket sales and my dad immediately bought six tickets.  He usually is very cheap, and would never spend so much money on something like that.  But in a rush of adrenaline he did, and on July 16th 2013.  I went with my whole family including my brother's then future wife, and my friend Amber.  I've never been to a concert more beautiful.  There were different backgrounds in each of his songs.  He even played like three encores.  He did this all on one of the hottest days of the year without taking breaks, and sounding angelic.  You better believe I sang along to all of the songs, knowing all the lyrics by heart. It was such a surreal night.  The next day was the day I got my wisdom teeth pulled.  What an excitement killer.  


 
 
    You guys probably know a lot about Paul McCartney already so I will leave out the simple facts. So if you can, I encourage you to see your favorite people in person. It's such a great unexplainable feeling.  Plus it's a great memory to keep with whoever you went with, that you'll both never forget. 
 

 
 

1 comment:

  1. It amazes me how determined you are to see the people you love. I am proud of you! Even with your past anxieties, you still went out to places that worried me and did it on your own!

    ReplyDelete