Sunday, October 20, 2019

LA Trip Day 3 (10/13/19)

   This is being written a week after it happened, so bear with me. (We love some good procrastination.)
     I ate one of the 3am donuts since we had gotten a half dozen at 3am the night before. Three for each of us. We then headed off to hike in Topanga State Park in Topanga Canyon. We were going to hike in Runyan Canyon, but after research I found out that was usually a pretty crowded place to hike. Topanga Canyon had trails that looked over the ocean, and was a lot less busy. The drive there was fun, we got to take the Pacific Coast highway, and the road was very windy within the canyon. It was beautiful too. We realized as we were driving that we were heading towards the direction of the Saddleridge Fire, which was located North of Malibu which is about where the canyon was. We also saw fire warnings when entering the canyon, however it was not smoky  when we were there. The actual hike was a little confusing since there were barely any signs along the way (like maybe 3 total) to let you know you were still going the right way. At multiple points there was a fork in the road, and I was a little worried we'd end up on a 10mile trail instead of the 3mile total trail we wanted to hike. About half way through our hike we stopped at a picnic area to eat snacks. An overthetop tourist guy let us have chocolate (It was wrapped up, so not laced with anything). While we were eating our apple and chocolate we saw some baby lizards crawling around the fence to the picnic area. We tried to catch them, but they were really fast, and I was afraid they'd be poisonous or something. On the trail we also saw a Blue Jay. Unfortunately that was it for wildlife. We walked up a little more from the picnic area then decided to walk back the way we came, in case we were on the wrong trail, and as to not miss the meet n' greet going on later that day. It was great anyway, with stunning views, even though we didn't go far enough to see the view of the ocean. Shayna and I both realized how unfit we were, while doing this hike.
















     After our hike we decided to hangout on the beach. What's a trip to a coastal city, if you don't hang out on the beach? To go along with the theme of the canyon, we went to Topanga Beach for a little bit, after being thoroughly exhausted and hot from our hike. (As we were hiking I realized, I'd be talking to my favorite musician after having had gone on a hike and gotten sweaty.) (Ryan Ross also included Topanga Beach in one of his lyrics, which was even more reason to go.) We realized when we parked to go to the beach that we hadn't gotten towels from the Air BNB so laying in the sand wouldn't really be possible. We ended up getting some sand in the rental car, and in the bed at the Air BNB house.  It was still relaxing to play in the water, and walk on the shore in hunt for sea life. I was brave enough to go all in the water, however it was still pretty cold. While walking on the beach we spotted three suicidal honey bees that had been hit by waves and were struggling to fly, a couple unknown squishy things, snails, sea shells, and a big black sea slug which Shayna picked up. There were actually multiple. I also found an empty crayfish shell. After collecting our shells we layed them out in the sand to get a better look. I planned on keeping the cute, tiny, shells until a few minutes later they began walking away. It turned out they were baby hermit crabs. (Shayna and I also noticed we both had the same swimsuit.)















  After the beach, we went to Sunset Boulevard (Echo Park) to be closer to the venue for the concert. We went to a vegan burger restaurant for dinner. Monty's Good Burger, and although it had a cool atmosphere and cute dog mascot, I didn't particularly enjoy it. I got a vegan burger and vegan milkshake. Both were alright but I didn't finish either. At the venue I got on my outfit for the night, that I'd wear to the concert. We then parked the car, and got free parking since it was a Sunday. We waited in the car for a little while before walking up to the venue.
   For those of you who don't know, this was my main reason for wanting to go to LA, this concert. Although I made a trip out of it, instead of just going for the concert. For the fans there was a small group of fans who were my age, and a group of fans who were around 15 years old accompanied by their mom or dad. One California mom was sporting a cute outfit with a bowtie. It's a little weird being apart of such a young fanbase sometimes. While waiting in line I got to talk to and meet other fans.I bought a VIP package so I could ensure getting to talk to the performers. However with this particular tour, if you stayed after the show they were also meeting people then. But the VIP package also came with a poster, vinyl, and t-shirt with tour dates. The main musician I wanted to talk to was Ryan Ross, who started Panic! At the Disco and wrote most of their early songs, as well as being their guitarist. Ryan Ross's friends who performed alongside him were also super talented, and fun to watch as well. Ryan has not been on tour in 9 years, nor has he really released any songs so this was a big deal.

   The meet and greet goes as follows. (So a little bit of context, I saw online that the meet n greet included a group photo with the main musicians, so in the days heading up to the concert I thought of a group pose).
     I was sure to tell them that they all looked amazing, then told them the idea for the picture. "Can you lift me" I asked. "Lift you how" was the reply. I repeated the request to one of the other musicians, now feeling stupid about my request but hoping they would know what I meant. They were concerned about messing up my dress but I assured them it was cool. Z, the girl musician was impressed by my outfit, and Ryan commented about how he liked the 20's/flapper vibe of it. (Originally I wasn't going for a flapper vibe, but after pairing the pearl necklace with my dress while trying it on, I decided to buy a headband, gloves, and pearl earrings.) (One of the pearl earrings ended up going down the sink drain that night, rip, although they were cheap, and the pearls were fake). They then lifted me up as the photographer took a few pics, and they shook from lack of upper arm strength. (the tour photographer liked my outfit, and ended up taking a lot of pics of me, which will eventually get posted somewhere. :P)
  The people who got VIP, got early access into the venue so we were able to get close to the stage. I was in like the 2nd row. However I had to hold the stuff I had gotten from the VIP package the whole show which was a bummer. The show was incredible. The venue was called "The Echo" and the acoustics there were flawless. Most of the songs performed there, had not yet been released, including three new songs from Ryan. Ryan ended the show by singing my favorite Panic! song, Northern Downpour. There's a couple videos of me, that I found online where you can see me swaying while Ryan is playing his songs. The person taking the videos was stood right behind me, so that was cool to see. I won't bore you with the details since, most of you don't know anything about these musicians, but I did get to talk with Ryan after for a few minutes, and he signed the picture that was taken of me watching him perform at the Christmas show. I showed him the picture, and told him I had traveled from WI to be there. We hugged and took a really 20's vibe photo next to the bar, and he wished me a safe flight, and I said you too, in which he replied I'm not going anywhere. :P But Ryan Ross is an awkward person, so it's fine. When I first walked up to him and said hi, he asked me if I had enjoyed the show (as if I wouldn't have. :P). 
Shayna and I then headed back to the AirBNB for our final night. We slept really good that night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment