Wednesday, January 12, 2022

Denver Day 5: Sunrise Hike at Redrock & Denver Science Museum

      This is late as I was in Denver over a month ago now, but here it is. The last day I was in Denver. 

    For the final day since my flight wasn't until 5:30 pm, I booked a sunrise hike at Redrock via AirBNB. If you didn't know you not only can book rental spaces, but experiences on AirBNB as well. This experience consisted of a sunrise tour of Redrock at 6:30 while a tour guide took you around and told facts about the park. The hike would end with a breakfast provided by the tour guide. I almost thought I wouldn't make it to Redrock in time. Even though I woke up early enough to travel there in plenty of time I lost my car keys. I looked all around my AirBNB in a sort of panic, not wanting to miss the sunrise, and/or risk the waste of money it cost. I decided to check my rental car to see if I had left it in there. The car I had only needed the key to be in the car in order to start which is kind of terrifying. I went to the car and tried to open it, which caused the car alarm to go off, at around 5:30 in the morning. I was fearful it wouldn't go off until I found the keys, and by then have woken up the whole neighborhood. However, it ended up going off on it's own. The keys were not in the car. I went back to my AirBNB and looked again, becoming more panicked because there became less and less time to make it on time. The keys ended up being on the end of my bed for some reason and I rushed out of the AirBNB and to the car. 

    I made it just in time at the spot I was supposed to meet the tour guide and the others, however the parking lot was empty. I looked up the number of my tour guide and called it. He answered saying he was running late due to a coffee mishap but he was on his way and would be there soon. The sun had yet to come up anyway. The tour guide arrived, and it ended up just being me and him even though a couple had signed up to do the hike as well. They never showed up, and the tour guide called them. We decided to start the hike since the sunrise wasn't going to wait. It was incredible, when the sun did come up instead of one area of the sky being pink, everywhere you looked was a pinkish hue. Even though it was a little more awkward given it was just me and the tour guide, I also got the opportunity to get more photos taken of myself with the scenery. The hike wasn't too hard and very enjoyable although we didn't see many animals. Only a few bunnies and a deer. The tour guide made funny comments, and told interesting facts about the park. Including how at Red Rock Ampitheatre bands were limited to a certain amount of speakers due to the fragility of the rocks. One band ended up disobeying this rule, and their speaker blew a permanent hole into one of the rocks. Also he Red Rock Ampitheatre usually hosts an Easter service. A few years ago Easter fell on 4/20, so what started with an Easter church service ended with a concert put on by.....who other than Snoop Dog. At the end of the hike I thanked the tour guide was given a breakfast sandwich along with other snacks and coffee which I took up to the Red Rock Ampitheatre to enjoy. I looked out at Denver as I ate my breakfast then drove around the park after to take some more pictures of the scenery. 

    It was around 9am when I got back to my AirBNB. I decided to set my alarm so that I had enough time to nap and pack my stuff before having to check out at 11am. The AirBNB host assumed I had left early in the morning, because she had saw the lights on in my room around 5:30am. She ended up knocking on the door that attaches to the house and walked in to go and clean the room. Thankfully I had heard the knock and had enough time to sit up at least when she came in. She apologized and quickly headed out. I finished my nap and then packed up my stuff, and figured out what I would do the next couple of hours. I had heard on the radio that the Denver Science Museum had a special exhibit on guitars and decided to buy tickets online and headed over. 

    The museum ended up being really close to where my AirBNB had been, so I got there quicker than I thought I would. When I got there I noticed school buses outside of the museum. The school buses carried kids who were on a field trip that day at the museum. I went into the guitar exhibit at the same time as a bunch of elementary school kids also went into the exhibit. The exhibit had a lot of interactive parts so the kids were all over that. The exhibit contained guitars from all over the world and their history. How they came to have six strings. How the material used to build the guitar affects the sound, etc.  The exhibit also contained different guitar models with explanations about them, a giant electric guitar model in the middle of the room, and a place where you could test out different guitars. The giant guitar had a "no running" sign. You could climb on top of it, but not run on it apparently. 😛 The museum also had exhibits on dinosaurs, space, Colorado climate/animals, sloths, and the body to name a few. I visited a couple of other exhibits after visiting the guitar one, then headed to Insomnia Cookie before returning my rental car. Insomnia Cookies let you order cookies or cookie icecream sandwiches made with your choice of warm cookies, and flavor of ice cream. I returned my car and made it to the airport in plenty of time, and made it back to Wisconsin around 8:30pm.





 





No comments:

Post a Comment