Wednesday, July 29, 2015

1st Official Day of Conference

7/18/15:  (I'm writing about this a week after it happened so I might have forgot some stuff).  Today is the first official day of Conference.  I planned on waking up for breakfast and I really thought I did since my phone told me it was 7:10, and breakfast started at 7:00.  Turned out it was actually 8:00 (My phone had never switched over.)  So me and Jeremy's mom who had been relying on my alarm to wake her up woke up late.  To pass time until the actual Conference would start we hung out in the Lobby of Ferguson.  (Maddy, Jeremy, Walter, Autumn, and Eli).  We spent a long time playing Wikilinks.  I ended up winning a round.  No one could seem to find My Little Pony, but I was able to find it even though I had started out with a banking system.  The banking system, led to the term monopoly, which lead me to the game of "Monopoly" which lead me to the Hasbro company, then to "My Little Pony."  Other terms that were searched for were "Space Jam", and "The Beatles."

 
 At lunch, while I was trying to say "french fries"  I accidentally said that I wanted "french flies", and the server was kind of like umm excuse me.  So I repeated myself, this time saying the correct terminology.  French flies, wee wee.  
                                                         

(Apparently French Flies exist ^)
Also at lunch a guy named Cody who was also part of the Young Adult group came and sat by us for a bit.  According to Jeremy he looks way different then he did.  Even though he was Walter and Jeremy's roommate he never showed up to small group meetings or to sleep in the dorm.  (He's changed.)  After lunch Jeremy, and I accompanied by Walter moved our stuff into the Hillside Lobby,  (Hillside is the name of the dorms we stayed in).  It's on top of a very steep hill.  I was literally dying by the time I got up to the top of the hill.  It was one of the hottest days of the year, and you get winded from walking up that hill.  Even though we were too early to move in, we were able to find out our rooms and roommates.  My room happened to be on the same level as the lobby so I was satisfied with that.  We then went to the church to help chaperon Junior High kids as they assisted people to help them move in.  I was so done with the heat then that I didn't do much than that.  (I did help one lady move in though).  We had a dining hall meeting scheduled at 4,  no one had told me where it was taking place so I assumed it was the church. It wasn't....so I ended up being late.  Luckily a kind man drove me to Galbreath so I didn't have to walk across campus to get over there because Lord knows I wouldn't :P.   I ended up getting there late but luckily they went through the rules again.  (It turns out I'll be working the same shift as Walter, Jeremy, and Andi).  While I was listening to the guy explain the rules again I was abandoned by the group, and couldn't figure out where they had gone.  When it was dinner time around 5 I asked the guy at McKelvey if young adults were suppose to eat there for dinner and he said I was suppose to be at the other dining hall.  That didn't seem right but I went to the other dining hall anyway where I saw Autumn and talked to her, and she told me I was indeed suppose to be at McKelvey.  I was really upset at this point and confused but on my way to McKelvey for the second time I saw Jeremy and his childhood friend Rachel walking to McKelvey.  I told them about my situation (good first impression to Rachel, Alex :P) Had dinner with everyone, and "segwayed" out of a conversation to go and get icecream.  
before our first Vespers session, Rachel and Jeremy helped me move my stuff into the lobby.  Vespers is a thing the Young Adults went to every evening before the evening meeting, where each night one of the small group leaders would give their testimony.  I don't remember what was said at the first Anderson meeting but it was a pretty big deal.  XD.  Except that I met two other first-timers from the young adult group which had been my challenge of the day from Jeremy.  (During the week Jeremy would give me a mission each day to help me get into the NWMC spirit.)  It turns out the two people I introduced myself to were only going to be there that night, and one was my potential roommate.  After Anderson was the first Chill on the Hill.  Chill on the Hill is where the Young Adults hang out in the lobby of Hillside and each night a different small group cooks a meal.  That night was pizza.  I met my roommates Mary and Cammy.  Mary happened to be Jeremy's fetus friend he had high-fived in the womb. She was kind of a badass, and Cammy and I got along really great.  I probably had the best roommates :P. Mary ended up taking the bed in the center of the room, to take one for the team. (Faith never ended up showing up, so she was going to take her bed instead, but never ended up switching beds.)  Especially since I didn't know what I was getting into since I hadn't requested one.  Afterwards we had our first small group meeting where we all shared our past stories and how we had found out about Conference.   


No comments:

Post a Comment