Sunday, July 5, 2015

My Summer Job

     I've said this multiple times before, but this summer I am working at a place called the Threshold as a summer camp counselor.  This job requires me to work with disabled kids with multiple different kinds of disabilities.  For my job I was put in the group with kids age 9-14.  Going all different places in Southeastern Wisconsin as far north as Sheboygan, and as far south as Kenosha.

         I definitely did not know what I was getting into, and was honestly kind of afraid.  This job is a lot of work, but not as scary/bad as I thought it would be.  It is pretty rewarding.  I even joke that this job has brought out the inner-mom in me.  Which is probably pretty accurate.  So far I've gone into work-mode twice while being in a non-work environment, and yelling things before even thinking because its so natural at work.  This job has definitely taught me a lot including
   - Learning techniques that work for each child.
   - Learning how to discipline children in an effective way.
   - The importance of patience.
   -Trying to be as caring as possible so you don't upset the misbehaving child even more.
   - Being a role-model at teacher to the kids.
      For my job I work one-on-one with a boy.  Which means although I am with the younger kids I have to keep an eye on my boy, so he doesn't do anything he isn't suppose to, or take him away from the group to cool-down. Working one on one also has been rewarding because it makes you feel bonded to the child, like this child is family to you, and you don't want anyone else to bother/hurt that child.
   I'm not allowed to talk about my clients, but if I could this blogpost would be filled with tons of funny/weird occurrences that have happened while I was working.  I also really like the fact that the job allows me to go to places that I've never been before, like the Jelly Belly Factory or Blue Lotus.

No comments:

Post a Comment