Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Who's Ryan Ross?

     As you may have noticed, I went to California for a couple days. My main reason for going to California was to see Ryan Ross perform and meet him. But who is Ryan Ross, and why would I fly all the way to LA to see him. You're in luck as, in this post I will answer these questions.

     So who the heck is Ryan Ross? If you don't recognize his name, you might recognize the name of the band he started, which is still famous to this day. The band that he started is called Panic! At the Disco. The last remaining member, and lead singer of Panic! is Brendon Urie, who has a more famous name at the moment. Panic's most famous songs include: "I Write Sins Not Tragedies", "High Hopes", "This is Gospel", "Nine in the Afternoon", and "Miss Jackson."

   So why Ryan Ross and not Brendon Urie, if Brendon Urie's the most relevant one now? Back story. So during the summer I went to my first Panic! At the Disco concert. Not wanting to be a fake fan, I dug deep into their history. The original band members, the split, how they became famous, etc. I watched old interviews, and old concerts. While watching one of the older concerts, I noticed that I really liked the background singers/guitarist's voice a lot. Since no one usually notices the background singer, I didn't think the comments would mention him at all, but tons did. As I watched the interviews and old concert videos, I noticed we had a lot of similarities. Ryan wrote most of the songs for the first two albums, and the lyrics are filled with deep meaning and intelligent words.

    Ryan is a writer, and a guitarist. He is soft spoken. He's witty. He's overlooked. He's misunderstood. He's filled with joy. He's soft spoken. He's humble. He's kind. Whereas Brendon Urie is loud, energetic, seen. Ryan also writes more of the music I'm into. Ryan writes more acoustic songs with deep lyrics, whereas Brendon writes catchy songs that are more modern pop sounding.

    Okay but that still doesn't answer the question of why you flew all the way to LA to see this dude perform. The thing is after Panic! split Ryan became increasingly less famous. From the top, slowly sliding down the ladder. He kind of went into hiding after 2011. He stopped posting anything online. Only occasionally after 2013. But in May, 2018 he came back on the scene, and did a show with a close friend, Z-berg. He also did a show in September, as well as the one I went to in December. I'm blessed that in the same year I came to low Ryan Ross, is the same year he began performing again. He recently released a new song on December 10th of this year. I do believe Ryan Ross will become relevant again and maybe even tour the US in the future once again.

    So who's Z-berg, and how does she relate to Ryan. Z is one of Ryan Ross's ex girlfriends. Ryan and Z's relationship was really toxic, and they decided they'd be better off as friends. They've become close as the years have gone on and she's his best friend now. The Bad List, the song that just came out is about the toxicity of their past relationship. Z never did become as famous as Ryan did, but her voice is of a singer that might as well be famous. She has a really beautiful voice, and interacts easily with fans. She is originally from the band "Phases" and "The Like". I'd highly recommend listening to her work. (Since this post has been long enough...I will post about the show in a separate post, along with the other parts of my LA/California experience.)



No comments:

Post a Comment