Wednesday, February 18, 2015

A Biography of my Life so far Written by Amber

One of my best friends, interviewed me through Skype so she could write about me for a paper she had for her English class.  Here is what she wrote.  I love it so much.  :)

       She walks tall with an acute self-awareness. Her face is one of understanding and hides an old soul deep within.  As she talks, she is full of compassion, love, and humor.  Her fashion sense is funky, yet classy. Everyone who sees her seems to be eternally jealous of her spunky earrings and flower head bands she wears. She’s not materialistic, but pleasing to observe as she selflessly goes about her day.  Her personality shines through her plethora of music CD’s and band merchandise. It ranges anywhere from Twenty One Pilots to Green Day, One Direction to Coldplay, and The Fray.  You can’t help but laugh at her hilarious stories she tells.  She must have telepathy, because she can sense how you’re feeling just by being around her. Love seems to leak from her every pore, and not just to her friends.  But don’t be fooled into thinking her life is perfect and that she’s got everything worked out. Behind her smiling face is a hidden secret, a locked door. Alexa Bingen deals with a general anxiety disorder and depersonalization. What I love most about her is that she’s not too proud to ask for help and make late night phone calls to some friends. 
                Alexa is 19 years old and is a freshman at the University of Parkside in Kenosha, Wisconsin. She grew up on the outskirts of Slinger, a small rural town in southeast Wisconsin. It was there that she went to elementary, middle, and high school.  She has a mom, dad, older brother, and a soon to be sister-in-law.  Her grandpa started dying when she was five due to cancer, so he lived in their house while her family took care of him.  One day he died there, which was the beginning of a long and torturous journey of her life. Since then, Alexa has had numberless panic attacks and lots of anxiety. She’s not sure if her grandpa’s death was the cause of it or not but it definitely affected her in unexpected ways. “I grew up with a general anxiety disorder and it also made it hard because my mom had Multiple Sclerosis, she still has it, and it was really bad. She had to walk with a walker, and they said she’d have to be in a wheel chair if it got any worse.”  Her mother is getting better every day, but she’s still not the best.  While in elementary school, Alexa would get constant stomachaches from her anxiety and worried too much about her mom and if she was ok. The nurses had to constantly reassure her that everything was fine and send her back to class. Because of this, she became good friends with the secretary in the nurse’s office.  She would worry about the most irrational things, such as having a heart attack while her school was promoting heart attack awareness in a gym class. 
Therapy helped as a kid, but not so much now.  During her middle school and freshman years, she felt “normal” again.  “Panic attacks, they make you feel like you don’t exist for a few minutes, and it’s a really scary feeling, thinking that you never existed before.  Depersonalization is like you’re not even there, like you’re living a movie. It was a constant feeling that faced me. And then the fear of having another panic attack, it keeps you from doing anything.” Scary, right? Well, this has been her life ever since she was a young child.  As a junior, Alexa was put on medication that would take six weeks to work. That’s a long and daunting time for you to battle your demons alone.  When she started having bad anxiety and panic attacks in high school, she was hesitant to tell her mom.  But after a while, she told her mom, even though she didn’t fully understand what was going on.
 Her mom, Kathy Bingen, was very supportive in trying to help her daughter get better by looking at online forums and watching multiple YouTube videos.  Alexa explained how senior year was really good for her because even though she had a few slip ups, she was in more control of them.  “Even though I wasn’t having panic attacks, things weren’t getting better, so I went back to therapy.  They weren’t able to help me. I wouldn’t suggest going to a therapist because I don’t even think they help. They kept asking “Why do you think you feel this way?” and I had no idea why I felt like that way. It just kind of happened, how I developed this condition.  Instead of helping me they would just ask me a bunch of questions. They get paid so much and they weren’t even helping me.” Just before her senior year, Alexa had a really bad panic attack, and depersonalization settled in and sent her into “zombie mode”.   She described it as never wanting to do anything but sit around and sleep.  Her and her family prayed about the situation she was in and decided on seeing a local hypnotist, which seemed to help a lot.  More and more appointments were being made as she started seeing improvements. That miracle working hypnotist taught her techniques to use while having a panic attack. Looking back at the times when she would have nearly four in one day, Alexa can’t believe that she ever made it through that difficult time of her life. 
                Many people, including myself, don’t fully understand what depersonalization is, so I asked for some further clarification.  “Depersonalization is pretty rare. A lot of people have it in the world but it’s not that common. It’s kind of like post-traumatic stress disorder, where a lot of people have it but it’s not too common. It’s for people who had an addiction to pot and it went wrong or people who had a really traumatic life experience, so I don’t really know why mine developed.”  But she kept going, kept living her life.  Alexa commented on religion and how it helped her through this. It was a big factor and without it, she may have spiraled into a horrible depression. She has never had thoughts of self-harm or suicide. “I was kind of under this impression that I could get through this and that it’s going to get better. I never had a thought that I was going to lose total control over everything.”
                Alexa Bingen was the Assistant Music Director for the school plays at Slinger High School.  Not many people get such a special role, but she got it through hard work and a couple years of being on stage crew. As she progressed, she was able to watch all of the younger students grow and develop their talents.   “I was able to prove to others that I’m a good leader and that I can do things that didn’t seem possible. I could handle things and prove that I don’t give up. It was a really amazing experience and I learned a lot about myself along the way as well.” Throughout high school, Alexa had a strong love for the theater.  Many of the friends she has now are friends forged in the deep fires of musicals and plays. This fall, Alexa went back to visit them and saw their fall production. She related to me how she started crying at the end because she loved seeing them grow up to their full potential. 
                Music can be a form of therapy, and this was the case for Alexa.  “I listened to the Beatles in the eighth grade, which was during the period where I was ok.” Green Day was the band she listened to when everything seemed to be going downhill for her.  During her senior year, she discovered Twenty One Pilots, “they explain how you feel in their lyrics more than anyone else can.”  Here we see just how influential music can be in a person’s life and mood. When it comes to worship music, sometimes she’ll listen to it late at night, become inspired, and won’t be able to get enough sleep for her eight o’clock class.

                Even though life is not perfect, she works her hardest every day to overcome her fears and anxiety. She attends college and continues making new friends and embarrassing stories to blog about.  Her blog has had over 500 views and her friends always love reading what she has to say. “My friend from Cru was wondering if I had posted anything else because he loves reading them. I didn’t even think he would take time out of his busy schedule to read what I write.  He actually reads it!  It’s really encouraging so I have been inspired to post even more.”

No comments:

Post a Comment