Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Donations

I came across a post on Twitter that said "We need so little, yet we act like we need so much."  Instantly after seeing that I thought about the pile of clothes sitting in the floor in my bedroom.  Did I really need that huge pile of clothing.  No, I didn't.  I went through the pile and got rid of most of the clothes.

I didn't just donate them to St. Vinnies (secondhand store), I had found a page on Facebook called Wisconsin Angels that allows you to give away stuff for free for families in need.  You post what you have to donate or what you need and people answer you back.

I had been part of a local area buy, sell, and trade page on Facebook, but that wouldn't be as valuable as seeing the girl and her mom's face light up when I gave them the clothes today.  I could of sold the clothes, but God teaches us that he will provide us with whatever we need.  So even though I am a poor college student, I wasn't  in desperate need of the money.

I divided up the clothes by who needed them on the Wisconsin Angels page, and met my first family in need today.  She was a single mom on disability with a 12 year old daughter.  I met her at a public place and gave her the clothes, then she introduced me to her daughter who was super excited to have the clothes.  Along with her own umbrella, and some nail polish.  She was also super excited to see I had included dresses for her, so she could wear some dresses.

It warmed my heart to so much to see them so happy.  The mom is such a great mom.  She contacted me so her daughter could have some clothes and an umbrella of her own.  She seemed so selfless.  :) Its great to see where a donation goes and how it directly affects the person.

I'm not posting this to say oh look at me and what good I'm doing, I'm posting this to encourage you to do the same.We often take for granted what we have in this world and often forget about all the poverty in the world.

I hope everyone had an awesome day,
-Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment