Friday, January 16, 2015

Your Favorite Songs say A lot About you?

I always get inspired for ideas of posts at such weird times of day.  Usually night.  My idea tonight was to see if Your favorite songs do indeed say something about you.  I'm going to research my favorite songs at the moment and see what they mean.  Most of the songs I like seem to have sad lyrics, but I don't consider myself that type of person. :p  I'm not going to do any worship songs because all of those are for proclaiming the love of God, so there's not really a variety.  So let's get into it and see if there's a common thread between the songs.

1) No Rain- Blind Melon:  This song is about finding excuses of why not to get out of bed.  The songwriter wrote it about a girl he knew going through depression that would sleep through sunny days and complain when it didn't rain.  (Yea, pretty depressing)

2) Nicotine- Panic at the Disco!:  A guy comparing his love for a girl as nicotine, and comparing the stages of his relationship like the stages of smoking (smoking, quitting, relapsing).

3) Cough Syrup: Young the Giant:  The person in the song is trying to find ways to cope with his depression and make him happy.

4) No More Bad Days: This Wild Life:  A story about a couple thinking they hit rock bottom but everything gets worse, but the guy in the song assures his wife they can make it through and he'll be there for her through it all.

5) I've Just Seen a Face- The Beatles:  A guy falling in love with a girl he just met.

6) Forest- twenty-one pilots:  Escaping your troubles by thinking about happier things like a peaceful place like a forest.  My friend and I discussed that it might have a deeper Christian meaning for the lyrics "We'll sing a chorus, one that everybody knows."  and later in the songs "Singing songs that nobody wrote."  That these words just come to his mouth as he sings like worship, or possibly speaking in tongues?

7) Hero-Family of the Year:  The pressure for a guy to fall under societal views when he grows up.

8) War on Drugs- Barenaked Ladies:  This song is about how we as a society don't do enough to help each other.  These people going through bad times turn to drugs, and self harm anything to make them happy and the people around them do little to help them.

9) I Just Wanna Run- Downtown Fiction:  This song is about a guy being ignored by someone close to him so he gets angry and just wants to run away from this guy.

10)  Yellow- Coldplay: Being devoted to someone.  Doing anything for them out of love.

I found out through looking up these songs, that some of them are a lot more depressing than I thought.  For example No Rain?  I thought it was a mostly happy song, but nope ha ha.  I also thought Cough Syrup was kind of a happy song.  It seems like the songs with the saddest lyrics are the catchiest to me for some reason, through this process.  I'm not sure why that is.  I feel like sad songs make me feel positive instead of sad. That sounds horrible... Maybe its because I'm not experiencing the feeling at the moment I'm listening to the song, but I can relate in some way.


1 comment:

  1. Veryinsightful! I find myself feeling the same way when I'm listening to sad songs for some reason. When normally I'm a pretty positive, happy person!

    ReplyDelete